Importing and Exporting Goods from the EU from 1 January 2021

Is your business ready for Brexit?

Importing and Exporting Goods from the EU

If you import or export goods from the EU, you will need an EORI number to move goods between the UK and non-EU countries.

From 1 January 2021 you will need one to move goods between Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) or the Isle of Man, and the EU. This must begin with GB so if you already have an EORI number check that it does start with GB and if not you will need to apply for a new one.

You may also need a separate EORI number that starts with XI if you move goods to or from Northern Ireland.

If you do not have an EORI, you may have increased costs and delays. For example, if HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) cannot clear your goods you may have to pay storage fees.

You will not usually need an EORI number if you only:

· provide services

· move goods between Northern Ireland and Ireland

If you use a post or parcel company they’ll tell you if you need an EORI number.

For full guidance and to check that you have the correct EORI number see Get an EORI number - GOV.UK (

4 views0 comments

Forster Cameron Brokers Ltd is an Appointed Representative of TEn Insurance Services Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and entered on the Financial Services Register at by firm reference No: 649748

Forster Cameron Insurance Brokers is registered in England. Company registration number 12784375. Registered address: 29 Lavender Gardens, Enfield, London EN2 0TP.

Privacy & Cookie Policy