Travelling within the EU: Vehicle Insurance

As the Brexit transition period ended on 31st December 2020, those wishing to drive their vehicle outside of the UK, within the EU, are now required to carry a green card. This applies if travelling to the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), Andorra or Switzerland. You must let us know if you are travelling to one of the above-mentioned areas so we can obtain a green card from your insurer. Some insurers can take up to 4 weeks to provide us with this document, so please ensure you contact us as soon as you are notified that they will be travelling. A green card is evidence that your insurance provides the minimum level of cover required in the country you are travelling in. Your must carry a physical copy of the green card as well as a physical copy of their motor certificate, should they wish to drive in these areas. Without these, they may be refused entry to countries outside of the UK. The information we will need from you to provide to their insurer is;

  • Dates of Travel

  • Name of the driver(s)

  • Countries travelling to/through

  • Vehicle(s) make, model and registration

  • Details of all trailers and VIN numbers as they require their own green card

For Personal Lines policies, please e-mail the details or phone us on 0333 305 1225.

For Commercial Lines, please e-mail the details or phone us on 0203 432 0270

This is not a requirement if your insurer has issued you with an annual green card, however, if you are unsure please do not hesitate to contact us.

For more information please visit the government website here

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All